Blog

  • Updated: Pedestrian Hit and Run Fatality

    WINNSBORO – The Fairfield County Coroner’s Office, along with the South Carolina Highway Patrol, are investigating a pedestrian fatality, which occurred on Hwy. 34, in Fairfield County at approximately 7 a.m., Dec. 12.

    Coroner Chris Hill states that Lamont Andre Jackson, age 40, of 410 Palmer Street in Winnsboro died from injuries received when he was struck by an oncoming vehicle.

    At this time the Coroner’s Office is seeking information on a 4-door Nissan, white in color with damage to the front end of the vehicle.

    The incident remains under investigation by the Fairfield County Coroner’s Office and South Carolina Highway Patrol.

    Troopers are asking anyone with information about the collision or about the vehicle of interest to contact the South Carolina Highway Patrol at (803) 896-9621 or 1-800-768-1501.

  • FMH funds dwindling

    WINNSBORO – Even as Fairfield Memorial Hospital sheds departments and services in the hope of remaining afloat, the Board of Trustees continued to grapple with the reality of its cash shortages during the Nov. 27 Finance and Audit Committee meeting.

    “The overriding theme here is that while we made some hard decisions the last meeting, our cash flow is still very troubling,” Finance Committee Chairman Randy Bright said. “We’ve got more work to do to stabilize our cash flow.”

    In a special called meeting Nov. 7 the Board voted to close the Blue Granite Medical Center, the Caring Neighbors home health service and the hospital-based cardiac rehab program.

    The hospital is still getting less money in the door, especially in its emergency department, which exacerbates its cash shortage. Chief Financial Officer Timothy Mitchell explained why patient collections are decreasing.

    “We are doing less of the more profitable books of business/services such as imaging and rehab and more of the unprofitable books of business such as the ED (emergency department),” Mitchell said.

    Second, he said the ED is getting more Medicaid and self-pay patients.

    “Medicaid pays less than private insurance companies, and patients who are self-pay often don’t have any health insurance at all,” he said.

    Finally, the hospital is seeing more denials because of not meeting medical necessity.  When a patient seeks primary care in an emergency room and does not present with a true emergency, the insurance company will not pay the hospital claim.”

    Mitchell also pointed out that the last time the hospital received state DHS (disproportionate share) and county funds was the first week in July 2017, when they had 22.5 days cash on hand.  By October this had shrunk to 9.6 days cash on hand.

    While the hospital does have enough funds to pay its key vendors and staff, Mitchell said, “We won’t have a whole lot of cash once those checks clear”.

    Mitchell also pointed out the cost savings he expected would accrue with the elimination of Blue Granite, home health, and the other departments. For example, while the expenses last month of running these departments were more than $96,000, they took in only $47,000 in revenues.

    “However, even taking these savings into account,” Mitchell said, “We are still looking at a large cash loss over the next 12 months…as best we can project”

    The hospital’s operating expenses were 66.8 percent of revenue in October, 2016. These increased to 71.5 percent in October 2017.

    The hospital experienced a net loss of $273,351 for October 2017; this did not include any bad debt recoveries.  Both the October and the November GEAR and tax set off payments will be reflected in the November financials, Mitchell said.  Daily gross patient revenue was also off in October, down to $39,578 from $45,227 the previous month and from more than $51,000 per day in October of last year.

    At Mitchell’s suggestion, the Board moved $125,000 of the $517,000 in Board-restricted cash to the hospital’s operating fund. Board-restricted cash is money the Board has previously set aside and that the hospital cannot use without the Board’s permission.

    “It would be difficult to get through December without tapping into these reserves,” Mitchell said.

    Also based on a recommendation from the Finance and Audit Committee, the Board approved an increase in the prices charged by the hospital based on a charge master review that was completed last year. This would result in an overall 17 percent increase in FMH charges.

    Hospital CEO Suzanne Doscher updated the Board on the closing Blue Granite and the FMH’s home health and cardiac rehab services. She said physicians and patients have been provided with notifications about the closure, and the goal is to complete care or transition care to other providers by year end, Doscher said.

    The five employees who are losing their jobs have been formally notified with letters, she said, and the hospital is actively helping them find new jobs.

    No nurses have been notified yet since the hospital is working with them to see who can fill vacant positions within the ER, she said. The transition will be finalized within the year, Doscher said.

    The Board also heard a presentation from Dawn Catalano, the executive director of the FMH Foundation.  She reported that since its inception in 2010-2011, the Foundation has donated $418,090 in total contributions – cash, grants, and items – to the hospital.

    Finally, the Board approved two motions after coming out of executive session:

    Approved the Hospital Transformation Agreement (Nov. 20, 2017) which would supersede the Board’s prior approval of the Hospital Transformation Agreement (Oct. 5, 2017), and

    Authorized Board Chair Catherine Fantry to sign the Hospital Transformation Agreement on behalf of the Fairfield Memorial Hospital Board of Trustees.

  • Winnsboro man charged with child pornography

    Pearson

    COLUMBIA – South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson announced the arrest of Raymonte Terrial Pearson (age 19) of Winnsboro, S.C., on ten charges connected to the exploitation of a minor.  Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) Task Force investigators with the Attorney General’s Office made the arrest.  Investigators with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the Fairfield County Sheriff’s Office, both also members of the state’s ICAC Task Force, assisted with the search and arrest.

    Investigators received a CyberTipline report from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) which led them to Pearson. Investigators state Pearson possessed multiple images of child pornography.

    Pearson was arrested on November 29, 2017. He is charged with ten counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, third degree (§16-15-410), a felony offense punishable by up to ten years imprisonment on each count.

    The case will be prosecuted by the Attorney General’s Office.

     

  • Wildfire doused near Ashley Oaks

    BLYTHEWOOD – Much of Blythewood was blanketed in smoke last Thursday when a wildfire that was described as low-intensity spread over approximately 50 acres just north of Ashley Oaks.

    Several firefighters, a brush truck and an engine were sent from Columbia. The South Carolina Forestry Commission also assisted, bulldozing firebreaks around the northern and western sides of the fire. Fire officials said no homes were threatened, and the fire was contained.

    The cause of the fire is undetermined until the investigated is completed, officials said.

  • Council looking to buy 14-acres

    WINNSBORO – The Fairfield County Council pushed forward with plans to purchase 14 acres for $60,000, after unanimously passing the proposed ordinance through its second reading. The 14 acres, located on Rockbridge Road, is proposed for a new fire-station if the ordinance passes third reading.

    According to Council Chairman Billy Smith, the current owner of the property owed $60,000 in back-taxes, for an issue the owner said he was unaware of that caused him to owe rollback taxes. Instead of fighting the tax bill in court the owner decided to sell the land to the County for the amount owed in rollback taxes.

    “Instead of going to court and fighting the county for the rollback taxes, the owner probably could have gone to court and won but they would have had to spend maybe $30,000 to an attorney to do it,” Councilman Jimmy Ray Douglas said. So the property owner decided to go with the county and give the 14 acres to rollback taxes.”

    A new fire station in the Rockbridge Road area will drop the Insurance Service Office rating from ten to six according to Douglas. But Chairman Smith questioned whether there would be a net positive or negative effect on ISO ratings in the Dutchman Creek area if that area lost volunteers to the Rockbridge Road station.

    “Obviously volunteers are always a problematic situation,” County Administrator Jason Taylor said. “We need to have more volunteers but if we dilute the volunteers it could have that negative impact that you’re saying that we want to avoid. So we’re trying to recruit new volunteers, as well as fill that position in there now with the Fire Marshall. We want to make sure we have volunteers to man all of our stations,” Taylor said.

    The motion passed unanimously, 7-0, but the ordinance still has to pass a third and final reading.

  • Weekend Earthquake in Winnsboro

    WINNSBORO – A small earthquake was recorded in Winnsboro Mills Saturday morning. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the 2.4 magnitude quake was recorded at 1:15 a.m.

    The weekend quake was the second in South Carolina in a week and the second in the Midlands this year. A 2.4 magnitude quake was recorded near Pageland on Thanksgiving night, and a 1.6 magnitude quake was recorded in Chapin in May 2017.

  • Woman charged with strangling cat

    WINNSBORO – A Winnsboro woman was charged last week with ‘ill treatment of animals, torture’ for strangling a cat to death.

    Dexter

    Fairfield County Sheriff’s deputies arrested Kerri Anne Dexter, 39, on Nov. 25, after they were called by the woman’s relatives who told them that Dexter had been growing marijuana at her home on Rion Road and had strangled a cat to death, according to the incident report.

    Deputies said the relatives told them Dexter had buried the dead cat in the yard somewhere.

    The report stated that the relatives expressed concern for the children who lived at the residence because they said Dexter projected her anger on the animal to the point of killing it.

    One of the relatives told deputies that Dexter told him that she got angry with the cat for urinating on a bed and strangled it to the point that it died, the report stated.

    Dexter also reportedly told deputies that she grew marijuana that she used to self-medicate due to stress, but that her relatives had pulled the plants up and thrown them away.

    Deputies seized containers of marijuana seeds and paraphernalia.

    Fairfield Animal Control was called and came to the home, dug up and photographed the dead cat.

    Dexter was released on a $5,000 bond.

  • Horton cottages fail PC rezoning criteria, Brock elected PC Chair

    BLYTHEWOOD – The Planning Commission members unanimously elected Donald Brock to chair the Commission Monday evening. Brock replaces Brian Franklin who was elected to Town Council last month. Brock is a resident of Oakhurst neighborhood.

    Brock

    Developer D. R. Horton was back on the Commission’s doorstep Monday evening requesting the rezoning of 4.76 acres near the Cobblestone Clubhouse from Planned Development/ R-3 (PDD, R-3), single family attached townhomes to Planned Development/R-2 (PDD, R-2, single family detached residential).

    A Horton representative said Horton plans to build 12 to 13 cottage-style homes on the parcel.

    In October, the Commission recommended that same rezoning request based on several residents’ expressed desires to have cottages over townhomes.

    However, when the issue came before Council, the residents switched gears, telling Council they were afraid the cottages were not going to come up to neighborhood standards and asked Council to turn Horton’s request down.  Council obliged.

    When Horton came back to the Commission Monday night asking for a re-do of the October vote, the Commissioners weren’t as eager to comply.

    New chair Brock cited a memo from Town Attorney Jim Meggs stating that generally the same rezoning can’t be resubmitted for a year unless the Commission determines either: 1) there has been a substantial change in the character of the area or 2) factors exist which were not considered in the previous deliberations which might substantially alter the basis for the Commission’s recommendation.

    Brock said neither was the case, and the Commission voted unanimously against recommending the rezoning.

  • County Launches Economic Development Website

    WINNSBORO – The County’s new economic development website has launched. And no one could be prouder of it than Ty Davenport, the County’s Director of Economic Development.

    “We wanted our new site to elevate Fairfield County and be attractive to companies interested in investing in the area,” Davenport said. “And I think it does that.”

    To view the new website, go to https://www.fairfieldcountysc.com/

  • Father jailed for cruelty to child

    WINNSBORO – A 43-year-old Winnsboro man was arrested on Nov. 14 for both ‘cruelty to children (torture, deprivation)’ and ‘assault and battery’ 1st degree.

    A 38-year-old woman came to the Winnsboro police station on Nov. 6, stating that her ex-husband had stabbed their 16-year-old son in the leg, causing the child to have to have stitches in his leg.

    In an earlier report, the father told police that he has full custody of the couple’s son. There is no other stabbing information about the incident in the WDPS report.

    The father, who is not identified to protect the identity of the victim, was released on a $25,000 surety bond. The case continues to be investigated according to WDPS. This story will be updated as information is available.