Blog

  • Blythewood woman, 20, killed in crash

    COLUMBIA – A 20-year-old Blythewood woman was killed in a crash on I-26 near the Piney Grove exit in Columbia early Sunday morning, just after midnight.

    Burnsed

    Sydney Jordan Burnsed, a 2016 graduate of Blythewood High School, died at the scene due to injuries sustained in the collision.  Burnsed’s vehicle was traveling in the left lane of the eastbound lanes of I-26 when it struck a 1997 Toyota sedan that had been disabled by a prior accident, according to Cpl. Sonny Collins of the S.C. Highway Patrol.

    The Toyota was disabled in the left lane of travel after hitting the median a short time before the second crash, Collins said.

    “There were no first responders on scene yet from the original collision,” when the second crash occurred, Collins reported.

    The S.C. Highway Patrol is investigating the collision.

    Burnsed, grew up in Blythewood where she lettered in softball at BHS, played softball for several travel teams and was a youth leader at NewSpring Church in Columbia. She was a sophomore at Midlands Technical College, pursuing a nursing degree at the time of her death. See Burnsed’s obituary.


    Related: Lady Bengals softball balloon release

  • Town threatened over tree law

    BLYTHEWOOD – Town Council held a public hearing Monday night concerning Council’s desire to amend Ordinance 155.390 (Landscaping and Buffer Requirements) by repealing section (H) which exempts certain projects from the ordinance requirements.

    Council and residents say section (H), which was adopted in 2015, is an unintended loophole in the ordinance that allows developers to abuse the ordinance to the point of clear cutting lots.

    Earl McLeod, Executive Director of the Building Industry Association of Central South Carolina said the amendment would be tantamount to changing rules in the middle of the game and threatened to lawyered up if the ordinance is amended.

    Section (H) states that those projects are exempt “which have received major subdivision or site plan approval prior to the effective date of this subchapter and amended major subdivision and site plans.”

    Council is reviewing the ordinance to be sure it is clear in regard to section (H).

    The issue arose recently over lots that D.R. Horton clear cut in Cobblestone Park. Residents there said they woke up one morning to find the trees on lots next door to them gone.

    “This was not the intent of our ordinance which was to protect the trees and landscaping in our town,” Mayor J. Michael Ross said.

    The stated purpose of the ordinance is to prevent “indiscriminate, uncontrolled and excessive destruction, removal and clear cutting of trees upon lots and tracts of land…”

    The intent of the subchapter is long and detailed: “to promote the health, safety and general welfare of the public; to facilitate the creation of a convenient, attractive and harmonious community; to conserve natural resources including adequate air and water; to conserve properties and their values; to preserve the character of an area by preserving and enhancing the scenic quality of the area; and to encourage the appropriate use of the land…and to provide shade,” among other things.

    All residential, commercial or industrial lot owners wishing to remove trees of certain kinds and sizes must comply with a list of rules and regulations, the ordinance states.

    But representatives of the building industry were on hand to push back against the proposed amendment.

    Shay Alford with Essex Homes said he is concerned about implications on a broader scope, to projects already permitted and in existence.

    “We go through a strenuous process to achieve permitting. That is an agreement we have with the Town. If you change the rules of the game, that creates a series of complications and hardships for us that were unintended, perhaps, but still exist,” Alford said.

    While Jesse Bray with D.R. Horton chose not to speak, he said he agreed with Alford.

    McLeod was blunt, telling Council that they might want to consider the consequences of amending the ordinance.

    “State law provides for vesting for a project once it is permitted in that a developer can rely on the rules in place at the time of permitting,” McLeod said. “That’s an issue you need to be concerned with…To change that midstream would certainly be open to litigation and none of us want to go there,” he said.

    While town attorney Jim Meggs suggested to Ross, “We would want to talk about the legal aspects in executive session,” the mayor didn’t back down from defending the Town’s reasons for wanting to abolish the exemption.

    “The people of Blythewood who live here in these developments are the ones who are not happy seeing all the trees taken down,” Ross said. “When we adopted this ordinance, we did not think there was an exemption in there. We missed that. But when the public comes to you from whatever neighborhood and says, ‘We don’t like the lots being clear cut,’ we have let them down. We answer to them, too. There are two sides to this.”

    The issue has been sent back to the Planning Commission for a recommendation before Council holds second reading.

  • Traffic circle opposition picks up speed

     

    BLYTHEWOOD –  As controversy heated up over a proposed traffic circle that would impact the Blythewood Road entrances to Cobblestone Park, Palmetto Citizens Bank, the Food Lion shopping complex and two properties owned by Blythewood businessman Larry Sharpe, Richland County Penny Tax officials took a step back this week to again receive citizen input on the issue. But, at the end of the day, David Bailey, one of several members of the county-hired program development team who met with citizens Thursday evening, was less than yielding.

    “We can look at it again, but that’s not going to change what works best at this intersection,” Bailey said.

    Larry Sharpe, left, and David Bailey of the traffic development team discuss the traffic circle. | Barbara Ball

    The County had planned to formally present its case for a final draft of the traffic circle during a public hearing at Muller Road Middle School on Thursday, but decided to forego the formal presentation at the last minute and, instead, hosted what Bailey explained as an informal question and answer session with residents after it became obvious in recent weeks that many of the residents do not want the traffic circle.

    Cobblestone Park resident Bethany Parler repeated at that meeting a worry she expressed earlier this month at the Town Council’s annual retreat – that the circle will not solve the traffic problem in that area and might even contribute to a bigger problem.

    “If you look at the plans,” Parler said, pointing to one of several renderings and diagrams set up in the school gym, “you will have to turn left out of Cobblestone, then shoot across two lanes of moving traffic, then merge to the right to get on to the interstate while cars are merging onto the circle from Community Road.”

    David Bailey, a representative of the program development team hired by the County, did not disagree with that scenario.

    While Parler, Sharpe and others reminded Bailey that the circle was not part of the referendum (Master Plan) for the town, Bailey agreed with that also.

    “But the referendum identified that Blythewood Road should be widened from I-77 to Syrup Mill Road and it does not get down into the specifics of how each intersection should be improved within that corridor,” Bailey said. “So as part of our engineering study, we’ve looked at each intersection to see if a signal needs to be added and what other improvements could be made to improve traffic and safety. We determined that a traffic circle would be the better improvement at the intersection of Cobblestone and Community Drive,” Bailey said.

    Sharpe suggested holding off on the project and evaluating it a little more in light of the growth that would be coming to that area imminently.

    “You have all this industrial area [between I-77 and Ashley Oaks] and much of it almost under contract, you have Cobblestone, D. R. Horton is building another 300 homes in back and another developer is coming in with 200 homes [on Blythewood Road near Cobblestone Park],” Sharpe said. “I don’t see, with all this traffic, how a traffic circle will help. In the mornings, there is no break in the traffic for cars to get onto the circle. It’s all bumper to bumper.”

    “If traffic is going to back up from I-77 to Syrup Mill Road, it’s going to back up whether we have a circle, a traffic light or no traffic light. We can’t help worst case conditions,” Bailey said. “But this traffic circle will help by slowing traffic down and making people yield. It will give breaks in the traffic,” Bailey explained.

    Town Council discussed on Monday evening the possibility of holding a special workshop on the issue sometime in April, and Mayor J. Michael Ross said public input would be invited.

    “I think we are going to have to come up with some alternatives, some other ways to deal with traffic in this area,” Ross told The Voice following Thursday evening’s meeting at Muller Road Middle School. “Maybe we can come up with something.”

  • McMaster offers incentive program

    Welcoming Governor Henry McMaster to Fairfield County are, from left, Councilman Jimmy Ray Douglas, County Administrator Jason Taylor, Councilwoman Bertha Goins, Representative MaryGail Douglas and Councilman Neil Robinson. | Barbara Ball

    WINNSBORO – The Fairfield County Commerce Center on Peach Road was the site of Governor Henry McMaster’s announcement last Friday of a federal program that proposes to give extra incentives to companies who invest in new jobs and business in impoverished areas throughout the state. These areas are designated as Opportunity Zones.

    Accompanying McMaster were Senator Ralph Norman and S.C. Commerce Director Bobby Hitt.

    McMaster made the announcement in Fairfield County where, last summer, the V.C. Summer nuclear plant abandoned the construction of two nuclear reactors, leaving 5,000 people without jobs.

    McMaster said there will be 135 Opportunity Zones in the state, at least one in each of the 46 counties.

    “This gives us the extra punch, the extra opportunity, that will transform economic growth and development,” McMaster said. He said these Opportunity Zones will bring a new era of prosperity in South Carolina.

    Hitt told Fairfield County officials that companies are lined-up to do business in the state. The zones are expected to be approved by the Department of Treasury in the next 30 days. The program is part of the tax reform Congress passed at the end of 2017.

    When communities are classified as Opportunity Zones, more tax cuts are offered to businesses who open businesses in those zones.

  • BHS student with gun arrested

    BLYTHEWOOD – A 17- year old male student at Blythewood High School has been charged with possession of a firearm on school grounds and simple possession of marijuana. Richland County Sheriff’s Department deputies arrested the student without incident.

    On Friday morning, March 23, a BHS School Resource Officer was notified by students about a video posted to Snapchat. The video was of the student, posing with a gun in the school’s parking lot. The student was identified and brought into the school administrator’s office.

    The Sheriff stated that marijuana was found in the student’s back pack and an unloaded handgun, with rounds in a magazine, located in his vehicle.

    The student was has been transported to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.

  • Fairfield Deputy fired after arrest

    COLUMBIA – A Fairfield County Sheriff’s Deputy was relieved of his duties last week after he was charged with domestic violence 2nd degree and public disorderly conduct.

    Blake Justin Adams, 36, of Ridgeway, was arrested about 5 p.m. at 400 Princess Street in Columbia on Saturday, March 17, after he was allegedly involved in a verbal altercation with a woman that turned physical. The incident report states that Adams and the woman live together.

    According to the incident report, the woman struck Adams with an open hand, then Adams struck her twice on her face with an open hand. The victim was transported to Richland Memorial Hospital. Medical personnel reported that the woman’s nose was broken and possibly her lobe.

    The incident was reportedly witnessed by multiple people who provided written statements. It was reported that, while being detained, Adams became disorderly, uttering profanity in a loud and boisterous manner in a public roadway.

    “We got a call on Saturday that one of our deputies, Blake Adams, was arrested for an incident at Five Points during the St. Patrick’s Day event,” Fairfield County Sheriff Will Montgomery told The Voice on Thursday, March 22. “We did an investigation and he was terminated on Tuesday night.”

    Adams was taken to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center in Columbia and released on a $257.50 personal recognizance bond for disorderly conduct and a $5,000 surety bond for domestic violence.

  • New county grants to require matching funds

    WINNSBORO – During its regular bi-monthly meeting Monday night, County Council passed final reading on an ordinance establishing procedures that will require municipalities in the county to now put up matching funds when requesting funding from the county for public works projects.

    The ordinance applies to capital improvements on a one-time, non-reoccurring basis that serve a defined public purpose such as downtown revitalization, recreation or public safety. The ordinance specifies that the funds must be expended to achieve the overall public need and good.

    The collaborative ordinance will require matches from the towns of at least 15 percent and as much as 50 percent of the request.

    “We did not previously require matching funds from the towns,” Council Chairman Billy Smith said. “For instance, when the Town of Jenkinsville requested $50,000 from the County several years ago for sidewalks, we gave them the whole amount. With this ordinance, we will require a percentage of the requested funds to be matched by the requesting town,” Smith said. “This is a common practice with funding agencies.”

    The first grant issued under the new ordinance is expected to be a $180,000 grant to the Town of Winnsboro for repairing the Fortune Springs swimming pool, Smith said. The Administrative and Finance Committee voted Monday evening, following the Council meeting, to recommend that Council require a 50 percent match ($90,000) from Winnsboro.

    Another request on the horizon is one that was made last year by the Town of Ridgeway. The Town is seeking a total of $500,000 for an extensive sidewalk project and has applied for a $400,000 grant from the SCDOT Transportation Alternative Program (TAP) which requires matching funds of 20 percent ($100,000) from the Town. Of that $100,000, the Town has applied for $43,000 from the Fairfield County Transportation Committee (CTC) and $57,000 from Fairfield County. Under the County’s new collaborative ordinance, Smith said Ridgeway will be asked to match 15 – 20 percent of that $57,000.

    “That’s not much for the Town to pay for $500,000 of sidewalk improvements to the town,” Smith said.

  • Bell named Support Professional of the Year

    Teresa, right, with Laura Collins, Fairfield County Board Executive Director

    MYRTLE BEACH – The South Carolina Human Services Provider, Inc (SCHSP) held their annual conference March 12-14. SCHSP is a network of over 25,000 providers supporting individuals and families with disabilities and special needs.

    Teresa Bell, an employee of the Fairfield County Board of Disabilities and Special Needs, was named the 2018 South Carolina Direct Support Professional of the Year. Teresa received a commemorative plaque and a $500 award.

  • Sheriff Lott seeks theft suspects

    COLUMBIA – On Wednesday, March 7 around 6:20 p.m. at Jeep Rogers Family YMCA at Lake Carolina, Richland County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the report of theft from two motor vehicles.

    The suspect broke into the victim’s vehicle by smashing out the rear passenger window. The suspect then stole a Michael Kors purse, valued at $200, which contained the victim’s credit cards and driver’s license. The suspect attempted to use the stolen credit card at GameStop (461 Town Center Place) and at two additional locations.

    Sheriff Leon Lott stated that a second vehicle was broken into at Jeep Rogers Family YMCA; the suspect forced entry through the rear door window and stole a Michael Kors purse valued at $500, containing the victim’s wallet and credit cards. The Sheriff believes one of the suspects used one of the stolen cards at GameStop in the Village at Sandhill.

    Both suspects have been identified as black men, wearing athletic-type clothing.

    Video images of the suspects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhNTl7Yei0

    Sheriff Lott is seeking the community’s assistance in locating and identifying two suspects wanted on charges of theft from two motor vehicles. Anyone with information on this incident may call or email Crimestoppers to receive up to a $1000 reward for information leading to an arrest.

  • Pauley, County answer lawsuit

    WINNSBORO – Attorneys for Fairfield County and Councilman Douglas Pauley have asked the Court of Common Pleas in Fairfield County to dismiss a lawsuit filed Feb. 12 by former Fairfield County Recreation Director Lori Schaeffer.

    Schaeffer’s suit alleged that Pauley illegally interfered with Schaeffer’s employment and was the source of the complaint used to justify her termination by the County.

    In documents filed with the Fairfield County Clerk of Court, Attorneys J. Paul Porter and Elizabeth M. Bowen, of Cromer Babb Porter & Hicks in Columbia, countered that Pauley, as a member of Fairfield County Council, was not a ‘third party’ capable of interfering with any alleged contract between Schaeffer and the County.

    Schaeffer’s suit alleges that she had not received any employment discipline from her hire through 2016, except for one disciplinary action directed to her entire department in the summer of 2017. The County and Pauley answered that “…disciplinary notices contained in Plaintiff’s personnel file speak for themselves.”

    The County and Pauley also stated in their answer to Schaeffer’s allegations that her “employment was terminated effective Sept. 28, 2017, based on a blatant lack of application and inefficiency.”

    The answer also stated that Schaeffer later characterized her termination as a resignation by e-mail correspondence dated Oct. 11, 2017.

    In addition to dismissing the lawsuit, the County and Pauley requested that the Court award them costs, attorneys’ fees and such other and further relief as the Court may grant.