Author: admin

  • Woman, 19, arrested for ill treatment of animals

    WINNSBORO – When a Fairfield County Sheriff’s Deputy responded to a call on Monday, March 2 in reference to an injured dog at a home on Cherry Road, a person at the home, Erica Beasley, 19, stated that someone had stolen one of her five dogs and injured two of them.

    Beasley

    Beasley said she last saw her all-white pit bull puppy and the two injured dogs about 4:30 p.m. on March 1. She said the dogs had no injuries at that time, the incident report stated.

    Beasley then showed the deputy a cut zip tie and a cut electrical wire that she said had been used to hold the cages together. She reportedly told the deputy that someone had cut them off the cages and that a friend had advised her the missing puppy had been spotted at a residence in the neighborhood.

    The deputy noticed a brown and white female pit bull lying on the ground behind a vehicle with several lacerations and dried blood on her leg, blood dripping from under her neck and blood mixed with saliva dripping from the dog’s mouth. The report stated that the dog could not move.

    The deputy reported that he explained to Beasley that she could surrender the dog for medical treatment and later get the dog back once all expenses were paid, but that if the dog did not receive medical treatment, Beasley would be charged with animal cruelty. Beasley first hesitated, saying she was going to call someone to take her to get medical treatment for the dog, but finally signed the dog over to animal control, according to the report.

    When animal control picked the dog up, the deputy said he observed brown liquid coming from a laceration on the back of the dog’s left leg.

    Another dog, a grey and white pit bull, was then observed by the deputy to also have injuries. Its mouth was red and there were injuries to its face, the report stated.

    At that point, a man approached the deputy and Beasley to say he had found a white put bull running around in the neighborhood and took him in. The man then returned the pit bull to the Cherry Road residence according to the report. The deputy reported that the dog had small lacerations under his neck but no major injuries.

    The deputy said he noticed white hair around the bent chain link fence in the yard. He advised Beasley that if the veterinarian determined that the dogs were injured prior to March 1, that a warrant would be issued for her arrest.

    The deputy stated that, before leaving two other uninjured pit bulls and the white pit bull in Beasley’s care, he observed that none of the dogs had clean drinking water.

    According to the incident report, the veterinarian assistant stated that the injuries to the two dogs picked up appeared to have occurred three to five days earlier.

    “When they were brought in, the dogs were undernourished, underweight and upon examination, our veterinarian, Dr. Chappell, determined that the injuries to the dogs were bite injuries. They were several days old and were infected,” Fairfield County Animal Control Director Bob Innes said.

    Beasley was arrested on April 3 and charged with ill treatment to animals, 1st offense, a misdemeanor. She was released on $1,200 bond. The two dogs will be held at the Fairfield County Animal Shelter until Beasley’s court date, Innes said.

  • Pub-type restaurant to open in Doko Depot

    Doko Depot

    BLYTHEWOOD – In a special called Town Council meeting Monday evening, it was announced that the owners of the Old Mill Brew Pub in Lexington will be leasing half of the Doko Depot building for a similar restaurant to open under the name of Doko Station.

    “I’m very excited about the restaurant,” the Town’s economic development consultant said. “It will offer a full menu including salads, sandwiches, steaks and a number of craft beers.”

    The other half of the building will house Don Russo’s Freeway Music, Jeff Wheeler of Wheeler & Wheeler, LLC, a Columbia development company, told Council. It was also announced that Russo will now be purchasing the building, not Wheeler & Wheeler, who signed a contract with the Town last December to purchase the building for $325,000.

    By late January 2018, Wheeler asked for and was granted a more favorable earnest money arrangement and an extension on the purchase contract. At the same time, Freeway Music owner, Don Russo, told The Voice in an exclusive interview that he planned to lease the building from Wheeler and Wheeler. That extension ended last month without a closing.

    On Monday night Wheeler appeared before Council to ask for an additional 90-day extension of the contract and for Council’s approval of an assignment of Wheeler & Wheeler’s interest in the contract to Russo’s company, Blythewood Depot Property, LLC.

    Council voted unanimously to approve the assignment and to extend the inspection period of the contract for 90 days.

    “I don’t expect it to take nearly that long,” Mayor J. Michael Ross told council members. “But I don’t want to have to come back and approve another extension.”

    The Doko Station restaurant is expected to open in about three months, Wheeler said.

  • Town Hall meeting to address traffic circle

    BLYTHEWOOD  –  Blythewood Town Council has scheduled a town hall meeting concerning a traffic circle proposed for Blythewood Road to be constructed through the Richland Penny Tax program. Controversy has picked up over the proposed traffic circle that would impact the Blythewood Road entrances to Cobblestone Park, Palmetto Citizens Bank, the Food Lion shopping complex and two properties owned by Blythewood businessman Larry Sharpe.

    “Council is going to be discussing the circle and proposing some solutions to possible traffic problems associated with the circle, and we hope residents will attend the meeting and provide their input,” Mayor J. Michael Ross said.

    The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, April 24, at 6 p.m. at the Manor. For more information, call Town Hall at 754-0501.

  • Drivers identified in Hwy 200 crash

    WINNSBORO – The two drivers who died after a head-on collision in Fairfield County on Monday just before noon have been identified. The two vehicles collided on South Carolina Highway 200 near Patrick Road east of Winnsboro.

    The drivers have been identified by the Fairfield County Coroner’s Office as Sylvester Terry, Jr., 43, of Winnsboro, and James Barrett, 79, of Rock Hill.

    Both drivers were wearing their seatbelts and there were no passengers.

    A 2015 Kia traveling west and a 2013 Chrysler traveling east hit head-on when the Chrysler traveled left of center and hit the Kia, killing both drivers. The driver of the Chrysler was pronounced dead at the scene.

    The Fairfield County Coroner’s Office, in conjunction with the South Carolina Highway Patrol, is investigating.


    Related: Head-on collision leaves two dead

  • Mayor and councilmen sworn in

    RIDGEWAY – Ridgeway’s newly elected mayor and town council members were sworn into office Friday evening at the Century House by Ridgeway Municipal Judge Adrian Wilkes. From left are Councilman Dan Martin with Robbie Martin holding the Bible; Mayor Heath Cookendorfer with Patti Cookendorfer holding the Bible and Councilman Rufus Jones with Gloria Keeffe holding the Bible. The mayor and the two council members will each serve four-year terms. The next meeting of the Ridgeway Town Council will be Thursday evening at 6:30 at the Century House.

  • Woman, 31, charged with assaulting relative

    WINNSBORO – The first call came in to dispatch about 1:30 a.m. on March 31.

    “It happened at Washington Highlite Club, Sharonda Richards cut Charlene Sanders with blade, driving blue Honda to FMH,” the caller stated.

    The second call came in about 20 minutes later from Sharonda Richards. She said there was a fight at the club and requested a deputy meet her at her residence.

    Richards

    Charlene Monique Sanders, 28, told the responding officer when he arrived at Fairfield Memorial Hospital (FMH) that she was at the Washington Highlite Club on Jackson Creek Road when Sharonda Richards bumped into her inside the club. Sanders said, according to the report, that the two women began to argue, the altercation subsequently moved outside where they began to fight and Richards “pulled a knife and started slashing her [Sanders] in the face and arm.”

    Sanders said blood began to run down her face and that she was transported by two friends to FMH where she was treated for a deep laceration from over her left eye to her left ear and injuries to her right hand and wrist, the report stated.

    Sanders reportedly told the deputy that she and the defendant are relatives and that the incident was an ongoing occurrence precipitated by the two women dating the same man. That man was also one of the two people who transported Sanders to the hospital, the report stated, and who remained with her while she was being treated.

    At the same time, the defendant, Richards, 31, was being treated for a swollen right eye at Richland Memorial Hospital in Columbia and was reported to be sending threatening text messages to the man Sanders had told the deputy both were dating and who was with her at FMH.

    Following treatment, Richards also gave a brief statement to the deputy, claiming that after the two women began fighting and had fallen to the ground, she [Richards] pulled a folding utility knife with a razor for the blade from her bra and began swinging the blade, cutting Sanders.

    Asked by the deputy if she was targeting a particular area of the victim’s body, Richards reportedly told the officer, “I was just swinging my blade.”

    Richards was arrested on April 2, and charged with aggravated assault. She was released from the Fairfield County Detention Center on a $10,000 surety bond.

  • Ross selling New York City

    NEW YORK CITY – Hometown girl and Blythewood’s First Daughter, Jessica Ross, made the headlines in New York City last month – not in the NYT, but in the professionally prestigious ‘Done Deals’ column of the city’s Real Estate Weekly newspaper.

    Ross

    Having recently embarked on a real estate career in the Big Apple, Ross, who is with Citi-Habitats Realtors, has already made two big sales in the city and was featured in Real Estate Weekly for her most recent sale on the Upper West Side – a one-bedroom apartment on the 18th floor at Columbus Park Tower that sold for $732,000.

    The apartment, which is located near Central Park, has a full-service doorman, a private terrace facing Columbus Avenue, 24-hour concierge, parking garage, garden area, laundry and is pet friendly.

    Ross is a graduate of the University of South Carolina’s Darla Moore School of Business with a Bachelor’s degree in business and marketing.

  • Head-on collision leaves two dead

    FAIRFIELD COUNTY – A head-on collision Monday morning resulted in two driver fatalities.

    Just before noon on April 9, a 2015 Kia and a 2013 Chrysler collided on South Carolina 200 near Patrick Road when the east-bound Chrysler drifted into the oncoming lane and hit the Kia. Both drivers were wearing their seatbelts. The driver of the Chrysler was pronounced dead at the scene. There were no passengers.

    The Voice will update this story as more information is available.


    Related: Drivers identified in Hwy 200 crash 

  • Board to list hospital for sale

    WINNSBORO – Although for the most part it was “business as usual” at the regular Fairfield Memorial Hospital Board of Trustees meeting March 27, the meeting ended with a vote that signals the final days of the hospital.

    After an hour-long executive session, the Board voted to “authorize the CEO to proceed with executing the agreement as presented with one revision.” But there was no clarification as to what the agreement was for or who it was with.

    The Voice has learned from other sources that the agreement is with Nelson Grubb Wilson Keibler, a Columbia commercial real estate company, to list the hospital grounds and facility for sale for $4.5 million and includes two general practitioner offices. One of those offices houses Fairfield Medical Associates and the other is vacant.

    At least one Board member complained that the Board had not been given the contract to read over prior to executive session.

    The motion to approve the agreement was passed with only Trustee Ron Smith objecting.

    “I won’t sign anything I don’t have the chance to read or study,” Smith said.

    The County is having the property appraised, which, County officials said, should take perhaps another week to complete.

    Hospital owes $3.3M

    During the Finance and Audit Committee meeting that preceded the full Board meeting, Mitchell pointed out that accounts payable continued to grow in February by more than $400,000, although some of that was due to bills that occur quarterly. By the end of February, the hospital owed more than $3.3 million to vendors and contractors.

    Financial Reports

    CFO Timothy Mitchell’s February financial report to the Board showed that while operating expenses were down by $716,027 from adjusted prior year operating expenses, gross patient service revenues decreased by $1,466,990 – twice as much – from prior year.

    The hospital experienced a net operating loss of $130,837 for February, but this reflected a premium refund the hospital received for workers compensation insurance, Mitchell said.  Excluding this, the adjusted operating loss for the month of February was $174,613. EBIDTA (earnings before interest, depreciation, taxes and amortization) for the five months ending Feb. 28 was a negative $765,793.

    The loss for February, Mitchell said, does not include any bad debt recoveries from the South Carolina Department of Revenue (DOR), because the DOR has been slow in processing tax returns and getting these payments out. Instead the hospital received the GEAR payment in early March.

    GEAR (Governmental Enterprise Accounts Receivable Collections) and tax offsets are used by the DOR to collect money owed to public entities, such as FMH, through the garnishment of state individual income tax refunds and additional collection tools, such as payment plans, wage garnishments and bank levies.

    “Had we gotten the GEAR payment in February, we would have gotten very close to a cash breakeven point,” Mitchell noted. “The February and March GEAR payments are about a $311,000 offset against bad debt.  We are anticipating making our budget with a $500,000 profit in March.  That should bring us very close to the budgeted EBIDA or cash loss for the six months ending [in March].”

    In other words, at the halfway mark, the hospital does not anticipate incurring a greater loss than the one accounted for in the hospital’s current budget.

    Mitchell also reported to the Board that the hospital management exceeded the cost saving goal they were charged with at the February Board meeting – to reduce overhead costs by 5% for an estimated target of about $23,000.  Instead, the hospital managed to identify $39,728 in monthly overhead cost savings, Mitchell said.

    And, if one excludes things like taxes and fixed costs that the hospital has no control over, the identified savings are closer to 15%, Mitchell added, although he did not specify exactly what had been done to achieve these savings or why the measures could not have been implemented sooner.

     “Business as Usual?”

    Even though – given the dire state of the hospital’s finances and the lack of patients – sale of the property can be seen as inevitable, the FMH Board and management have been carrying on with business as usual.

    The Board still heard department reports on patient safety initiatives, approved a purchase for an emergency room ventilator and talked about the hospital’s Facebook page.

    Certain costs, such as the hospital’s contract with HMS for housekeeping and maintenance services, remain and are on-going, meaning the hospital cannot reduce these costs even though there are fewer patients served and fewer services provided.

    Doscher reported that the strategic plan, which initially envisioned what the future might look like in three to five years, has been changed to reflect the fact that the hospital will be closing in 9 to 10 months. However, sources tell The Voice that the hospital is in talks with bankruptcy attorneys and that the doors could close as early as this spring.

    “Now the strategy is retaining the staff we have,” she said.  “We are not looking to grow right now, we have changed to a transition strategy and the things we are looking to do to transition from an acute care hospital.”

    And, finally, the hospital is closing the kitchen completely, concluding that it is too costly to keep it open. Despite the fact that it has been many months since there were inpatients, the hospital has been keeping the kitchen open to provide employees with lunch three days a week and meals to management and Board members during Board meetings.

  • Gladney sentenced to 14 years

    Gladney

    WINNSBORO – A Winnsboro man has been sentenced to 14 years in prison for criminal sexual conduct with a minor under 11 years of age, first degree.

    Jonathan Gladney, 36, whose history of criminal sexual conduct against minors dates back to 2011, was sentenced on March 26 by Sixth Circuit Judge Brian Gibbons.  Gladney had been released on a $10,000 personal recognizance bond since Oct. 8, 2012.

    Gladney was charged with three counts of criminal sexual conduct with a minor or attempt, 11 – 14 years of age, second degree; five counts of criminal sexual conduct with a minor or attempt, first degree; two counts of engaging a child under 18 for sexual performance and two counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, first degree.